Sunday, March 23, 2014

Setting Goals

We bought a 36 acres that had a couple of buildings on it but no home. To make this piece of land into something we could live on with our family has taken a series of small projects. For weeks I would wake up and work morning until evening going from one project to another. When the school year started I still had projects to work on, but teaching the kids became a priority and the progress slowed down.

A couple of weeks ago I was talking to a group of moms and the question was: What do you want to work on this next month to reduce the stress in your home. I decided to make my meal preparation earlier in the day my goal. To work towards that goal I actually started canning food again. This has enabled me to take prepared and cooked foods off the shelf to feed to my family as needed.

This also forced me to face another project that I had not yet gotten to. Because we live in a tiny house storage for food is almost non-existent. We want to have a garden and keep the foods we grow, but where do we keep them. This weekend we were able to build a shelf unit for our food. We currently only have three buildings here. One is our tiny house, the other is where we have the washer, fridge, and freezer and the last one we have insulted and finished most of and we use it for storage and study. Unfortunately we haven't actually gotten to the "study" part of it very well. My goal is to have my books in there and have a space the kids can study but that is a project for another day. I have however managed to frame in a closet area for clothes for the kids and as of this weekend for our food storage. I am super excited that we were able to build shelves for our food. 

Setting small goals has been super an essential part of creating our homestead, and I am grateful that we continue to be blessed.

No comments:

Post a Comment