Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Just Keep Swimming

Dori has great advice in the movie Finding Nemo. When things seem extremely difficult, just keep going. There is so very little that I can do about our financial situation. My husband is still looking for a job, and in the meantime he is working at a summer camp full time which gives us a small income but prevents him from looking for a full time job for after camp. However, I find great comfort in the small steps I can take to help our situation, and today we made progress in two areas.

First,  we managed to plant a rhubarb plant which I hope will some day give my kids the option to just walk outside and pluck off a stem for a treat once in a while. We also planted some mint that I am sure we will be using for years to come (if it can survive the bad weather and the animals), and we planted fennel and dill to feed to the goats. Those also won't be ready for use for some time, but we are planning for long term and not just for immediate survival.

Second, I also managed to turn some blueberries that were given to us into some jam to add to our food storage.

As we work towards our debt free goals it is important that we plan not only for the short term successes, but also for the long term successes.

I don't just want to have goats that we can get milk from, but I want to have plants growing on my property that the goats can eat for food and their health. I want to use our property in such a way that we can live off it and not just live on it. Today someone said that patience in the key and remarked that patience enables us to go from cabin to castle. I loved that comment. Although I don't ever really want to live in a castle I am sure that my cabin will begin to feel like a castle as I patiently and prayerfully plan out and work on our property.  I hope that someday our property won't just be a blessing our us but to others as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment