Monday, June 16, 2014

What do you do in the summertime, when all the world is green?



One of my goals is to fill all of the empty jars that I have with food. Another one of my goals is to work on my food storage.   It was exciting to be able to work on both of those goals today. 
We spent the day canning. Actually if you count how many jars of food we added to our food storage it doesn't look like we were that productive, but I know that those few jars amount to hours of work. I am excited about the food that we added to our storage even if it isn't a whole lot.
We added 5 quarts of apple pie filling (it would be more except that we don't have any more ultra gel). We then cooked a batch of apple curry chutney and a batch of sweet pickle relish. We use a lot of homemade relish as a family, so I try to make some at least twice a year. I was sad that I only got 2 pints and 2 half pints made up today, but I was glad to put more on the shelf for the family to eat. One of the exciting things about today was that it was the first time I made chutney. It is exciting when I made something new. I have never actually had chutney before, but my husband says that he likes it, and I had some apples, so I made him some apple chutney. 





No comments:

Post a Comment